​Adaptations may be required within the home for someone who is elderly and/or disabled to enable them to continue to live as independently as possible in their home.

You could get a grant (Disabled Facilities Grant) from your council if you are disabled and need to make changes to your home such as widening doors and installing ramps, installing a stair lift, installing a wet room, providing a heating system suitable for your needs, adapt heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use, improve access to rooms or facilities or make access to the home easier.

Shower adaptation

To be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) you must meet statutory requirements such as being an owner, occupier or a private tenant or a landlord with a disabled tenant or a local authority tenant or a housing association tenant. Also some occupiers of caravans and houseboats may also be eligible.

The Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996 is the main legislation for Disabled Facilities Grants.


DFG’s are normally paid by the local housing authority. A local authority cannot refuse to allow you to make a formal application or refuse to give you an application form.

No work should be commenced on your home until the local authority has approved your application.

The maximum grant of a Disabled Facilities Grant in England is £30,000.00.

The actual amount of DFG that someone can get depends on the income and savings of the disabled person (and his or her partner), even if the disabled person has not actually applied for the grant (such as when an application is made by a landlord with a disabled tenant).

The income and savings test is similar, but not identical, to that for means-tested benefits (such as income support or pension credit). In all cases the first £6,000 of any savings are ignored. 

If the disabled person’s income and savings are below the test limits, there will be no need for him or her to contribute to the cost of the works.

If the disabled person’s income and savings are more than the test limits, then a contribution will be required from them towards the cost of the works.

Some types of DFG’s are mandatory i.e. you are entitled to it if you satisfy the conditions for it but the local housing authority must be satisfied that the work is both necessary and appropriate for the needs of the disabled person and reasonable and practicable in relation to the property.

There is a 6-month time limit for the local authority to give you a decision. This starts from the date of your formal application. Sometimes your local authority may specify a date of payment for the grant, but this should be no later than 12 months from the date on which you made your application.

Disability Rights UK provide a useful leaflet on Disabled Facilities Grants


We are currently offering a FREE guide to choosing a care home. Sign up to our newsletter and one will be sent to you with no obligation
We'll never spam or give this address away.


What our customers say about us